Forty (40) Scriptures for Lent
Scriptures pertaining to:
- Commitment to God
- Philippians 4: 6-7- Pray about everything . . . “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God.”
- Matthew 6: 9-13 . . . The Lord’s Prayer
- 1 John 5:14 – God always hears us . . . “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.”
- Mark 11:20-25 – Mountain Moving Prayer “’Have faith in God,’ Jesus answered. ‘I tell you the truth. If anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea, and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore, I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”
- Matthew 6:6-8: Private payer in your prayer closet “But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.”
- Matthew 18:19,20: Agreeing together in prayer with others “Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.”
- James 5:13-18: Healing prayer and the effectiveness of the prayers of the righteous Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again, he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.”
- Luke 5:15-16 “Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places to pray.” Too often in the middle of doing great things we tend to become people of action and forget to underpin all of our actions with prayer. Jesus himself, who was God’s own son, needed to pray often in order to sustain his incredible ministry which included healing many people. This verse also reminds us of the need to make prayer a regular habit so we can be continually refilled and rejuvenated with spiritual power.
- Romans 8:26,27: The importance of the Holy Spirit to pray for us “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.”
- Luke 11:9-13: Seek and you will find “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Of if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
- Jeremiah 29:12“Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.”
- Luke 6:27-28“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.”
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
- Proverbs 3:5-8 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bone
- Matthew 22:37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
- 2 Timothy 2:24-26 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.
- Psalm 37:5 Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act.
- Romans 12: 1-2 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
- Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
- Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
- Deuteronomy 6:5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
- Psalm 139: 23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me and lead me in the way everlasting!
- Luke 16:13 No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.”
- Deuteronomy 7: 9 Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations,
- Matthew 16: 24-26 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
- John 14: 15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
- Mark 12:30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.Thanksgiving:
- 2 Corinthian 4:15 And out of them shall proceed thanksgiving and the voice of them that make merry: and I will multiply them, and they shall not be few; I will also glorify them, and they shall not be small.
- 1 Chronicles 16;34 God’s Love for us Never Ceases “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
- Psalm 107: 8-9 God satisfies our every need “Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.”
- Psalm 100: 4 Enter his gates with Thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
- The Devil Hates a Thankful Heart because it helps us overcome struggles. 1 Corinthian 15:57 “But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ
- Psalm 9:1 I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart;
I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
- Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
- 2 Corinthians 9:11 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
- Revelations 5:13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!”
- Psalm 118:19 I will extol the Lord at all times; His praise will always be on my lips…